The 8D (Eight Disciplines Problem Solving) is a method developed at Ford Motor Company used to approach and to resolve problems, typically employed by engineers or other professionals.
Focused on product and process improvement, its purpose is to identify, correct, and eliminate recurring problems. It establishes a permanent corrective action based on statistical analysis of the problem and on the origin of the problem by determining the root causes. Although it originally comprised eight stages, or ‘disciplines’, it was later augmented by an initial planning stage. 8D follows the logic of the PDCA cycle.
8Ds has become a standard in the automotive, assembly, and other industries that require a thorough structured problem-solving process using a team approach.
- An 8D template with the different steps of the problem solving methodology
- Additional Excel sheets that contain specific tools to support the 8D:
- Pareto with 3 different types of graphs
- 2 different templates for Ishikawa (fishbone diagram)
- 3 different templates for FTA (Failure Tree Analysis)
To download this tool, click on the following link :
- This tool is free
- It can be modified by the user
- Cannot be redistributed or sold
- PC Excel 2016 : OK
- PC Excel 2013 : OK
- PC Excel 2010 : OK
- PC Excel 2007 : OK
- MAC – Excel 2016 : OK
- MAC – Excel 2011 : not tested
- Language(s): English
- Revision 2
- 3357 Downloads