The “Eisenhower Method” stems from a quote attributed to Dwight D. Eisenhower: “I have two kinds of problems, the urgent and the important. The urgent are not important, and the important are never urgent.”
Using the Eisenhower Decision Principle, tasks are evaluated using the criteria important/unimportant and urgent/not urgent, and then placed in according quadrants in an Eisenhower Matrix (also known as an “Eisenhower Box” or “Eisenhower Decision Matrix”). Tasks are then handled as follows:
- Tasks in Important/Urgent quadrant are done immediately and personally e.g. crises, deadlines, problems.
- Important/Not Urgent quadrant get an end date and are done personally e.g. relationships, planning, recreation.
- Unimportant/Urgent quadrant are delegated e.g. interruptions, meetings, activities.
- Unimportant/Not Urgent quadrant are dropped e.g. time wasters, pleasant activities, trivia.
This method is said to have been used by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- Eisenhower Matrix with the 4 quadrants
- Macros that smoothen useful features :
- Promote / Demote a task (will move a task from a quadrant to the other)
- Move Up / Move Down a task (within the same quadrant)
- Mark as complete
- Highlight with a flag (3 colors)
- Archive a task (once completed or at any time)
- Delete a task
To download this tool, click on the following link :
- This tool is free
- It can be modified by the user
- Cannot be redistributed or sold
- PC Excel 2016 : OK
- PC Excel 2013 : OK
- PC Excel 2010 : OK
- PC Excel 2007 : not tested
- MAC – Excel 2016 : not tested
- MAC – Excel 2011 : not tested
- Language(s): English
- Revision 2
- 15769 Downloads
If you like this tool, you will love:
Gantt Chart Maker : Our most popular tool for project managers. It will help you make awesome project schedules and meet your deadlines. It has more than 10 years in service and 150,000+ downloads. Try the free version first.